Hoedspruit is a small town with a big heart. Situated at the fertile foot of the Klein Drakensberg (Afrikaans for “Small Dragon Mountains” range) in Limpopo province, our town’s proximity to some of South Africa‘s most beautiful scenery, private game reserves and the Kruger National Park means that, along with agriculture, eco-tourism is a major contributor to our local economy. Our town is also home to Airforce Base Hoedspruit.
While still small, has grown in recent years, attracting a dynamic mix of professionals from all over the world – that fact that we have learners from 17 different countries at our school attests to that!
The town is emerging as a centre of excellence in various fields; with scientists doing ground-breaking work, a thriving art scene and non-governmental organisations that are setting the bar when it comes to caring for their community.
Southern Cross Schools sits at the very centre of this community. We’re privileged to be able to serve its education needs, as well as provide people who aren’t lucky enough to live here with an ideal choice for their or daughter’s education in a safe, stimulating environment.
- Hoedspruit has a number of doctor’s practices, a dentist, an optometrist, several physiotherapists and homeopaths to choose from. While we don’t have our own hospital, there are private and government hospitals in a number of our surrounding towns and we have excellent local emergency services. Here is a link to more information on Hoedspruit’s healthcare services.
- Hoedspruit is a gorgeous place to live. The town itself is surround by wildlife estates and there are a number of estate agents who will help you find a place to live. Here is a link to more information Hoedspruit’s estate agents.
- Visitors to Hoedspruit are spoilt for choice when it comes to leisure time. Aside from having some of the best wildlife viewing in the world on our door-step, there are adventure activities, farms to visit, walks to do, scenic hikes, a world-renowned reptile park, fishing, flying, horse riding, sports facilities, white water rafting, great birding, a range of restaurants, farm tours, hot air balloon rides, rock climbing, spas, regular markets and festivals and more.
- Hoedspruit’s Eastgate Airport received regular scheduled flights and charter flights. The area is also well-serviced by regular shuttles and in town itself, we have a tuk tuk taxi service.
- Along with our monthly Earth Market at the school, we have the annual Pick n’ Pay Sustainable Living Festival, Blyde X Fest, Hlokomela Herb Banquet, the Rocking for Rhinos concert, the quarterly Silk Farm market and more.