At Southern Cross Schools we take the ‘active’ part of activities seriously! We offer a range of extra-curricular activities; sport, cultural and environmental adventure activities.
On the sporting front, we offer a number of traditional sports and Southern Cross teams participate in inter-school leagues and competitions. Not all sports are played on a competitive level, however. Some sporting activities are done purely for recreation and enjoyment. These ‘sports for life’ are done to encourage children to develop healthy pastimes that they will hopefully continue into adult life. Activities such as cycling, cross-country running, tennis and swimming are included in this list. Drama and music are also on offer. The Preparatory School and the College offer learners opportunities to be involved in various school productions during the course of the year. Music is offered in the Preparatory School curriculum and in the College learners can participate in the very popular drumming squad. Southern Cross learners are able to participate in equestrian activities by joining one of the two local stables in Hoedspruit. The school is registered with SANEF and our riders compete at various SANEF qualifiers during the course of the year. Hoedspruit has the Blyde River and the Olifants River very close by. The Northern Drakensburg is also just a stone’s throw away. These rivers and mountains offer great opportunities for adventure activities such as rock climbing, kayaking, kloofing etc. A variety of opportunities for learners to participate in adventure activities are created.
- We take pride in encouraging academic excellence amongst all of our learners. We unwaveringly support hard work and all the success that it promises. Find out more about our academic programme here.
- Our school offers a wide range of sports in order to give as many learners as possible the chance to develop their own individual strengths. Find out more about our sports programme here.
- Art, music, dancing, photography and drama; Southern Cross Schools offers it all, helping our learners find and hone their passion into a well-practised skill. Find out more about our cultural programme here.
- Our school is at the heart of our community here in Hoedspruit and as such, we offer many opportunities for our learners to engage in socially-responsible and recreational activities. Find out more about our community activities here.
- Learning about, exploring and appreciating our environment underpins our entire ethos. With this in mind, we offer regular bushlore classes, field trips and opportunities to experience all that the Lowveld has to offer. Find out more about our environmental activities here.